Congrats to Salah Steel Academy.....traveling all the way from Montreal to claim the three-peat!!! You guys sounded excellent on Friday.
The unofficial results are as follows:
1st Salah Steel Academy – First in the Line – Edwin Pouchet & Alvin Daniell – Salah Wilson (287)
2nd New Dimension – Pan Baby – Amrit Samaroo – Andre Rouse (284)
3rd (tie) Afropan Steelband – Magic Drum – Len “Boogsie” Sharpe & Machel Montano – Earl La Pierre Sr (278)
3rd (tie) Pan Fantasy – Pan Redemption – Jason “Peanut” Isaac – Al Foster (278)
2009 OSA Pan Alive “People’s Choice”: HYSO – The Hamilton Youth Steel Orchestra
A panel of volunteer judges awards points based on the following criteria:
- Arrangement (max. 40 marks comprising introduction, interpretation, re-harmonization, melodic development and motivic development)
- General Performance (40 marks comprising dynamics and balance)
- Tone (10 marks; blending of pans)
- Application of Rhythm (10 marks; application of rhythm) for a total of 100 marks.
- The order of merit is determined by discarding the highest and lowest score per participant. The judges’ decision is final, and all results are announced at the end of the show.
- this event was presented by the Ontario Steel Pan Association (OSA)
- the 2009 OSA Pan Alive winner – Salah Steelpan Academy – has won this competition three years in a row (2007, 2008 and 2009)